Today, more than ever, one is able to operate globally, and can do so in Malta enjoying a Mediterranean quality of life. Most important of all: re-location today, is less about weather and lifestyle, and more about a safe secure environment for a person and their family to live, work, study without political, religious or racial discrimination in an increasingly volatile world. People are moving to Malta, to de-stress, whilst remaining a short flight away from all major European cities as today’s new normal of remote-working enables many of us to focus on quality of output rather than office. Malta’s welcoming mix of Anglo-Saxon and European culture, and English-speaking population add to the value of Malta as a safe and versatile home in which to raise a family: having the benefit of one of the best medical services in the world, and well-established schools catering to the local and international preferences of parents, and many attractions for them and guests to enjoy.
DAL’s team of professionals have been assisting clients to become permanent residents of Malta for more than two decades, including personal attention and support in accounting, banking, compliance, legal, real estate and tax-administration, facilitating the relocation process such that a prospective resident can easily move to operate their current or new business from here, or simply retire, whilst enjoying a new level of mobility visa free travel and extraordinary work / life balance. Together with our team of local and international specialists, we remain committed to delivering a ‘safe-smart-home away from home’ for people and businesses. Our expertise, combined with the high-end services provided through our strategic partners, enables us to offer bespoke and seamless solutions through a one-stop-platform, assisting and accompanying the client throughout the entire application process until acquisition of the desired residence status or naturalization.
Having evolved since the 1960s as a pre-dominantly retirement scheme, Malta’s today offers a variety of attractive programmes of which the latest is the 2021-Malta Permanent Residence Programme (MPVP) which offers suitable non-EU-EEA nationals, the most advantageous EU home in terms of a unique package of privileges such as lifestyle, Shengen travel, and special tax status and benefits. The MPVP is a straightforward residency-by-investment programme based on investments in property and government contributions. With the promise of a 4 to 6-month processing time from the submission of a complete and correct application, the Programme offers much value to clients wishing to make Malta their home away from home.
Successful applicant shall:
- have the right to settle, stay and reside permanently in Malta;
- enjoy Visa-free travel across Schengen, 90 out of 180 days;
- penetrate Malta’s affordable real estate market;
- may include up to four generations in an application;
Eligibility and requirements
To be eligible for the MRVP, applicants should:
- be third country nationals, non-EU, non-EEA and non-Swiss;
- not hail from sanctioned countries, as announced from time to time by the Agency;
- not benefit under other pertinent regulations and schemes;
- be in receipt of stable and regular financial resources, sufficient to maintain themselves and their dependants, without recourse to the social assistance system of Malta;
- show they have capital assets of not less than €500,000, out of which a minimum of €150,000 must be financial assets;
- be fit-and-proper individuals and have a clean criminal record;
- not pose any potential threat to the national security, public policy, public health or public interest.
To participate in the Programme, applicants must:
- submit an application via a Licensed Agent such as DAL Advisory;
- pay a non-refundable administrative fee of €40,000;
- rent a property for a minimum of €10,000 in the South of Malta/Gozo or €12,000 in the rest of Malta; or
- purchase a property for a minimum value of €300,000 in the South of Malta/Gozo or €350,000 in the rest of Malta;
- pay a Government contribution of €28,000 if purchasing a property or €58,000 if leasing a property;
- pay an additional €7,500 for each additional adult dependant (except for the spouse);
- hold the qualifying property for a minimum period of 5 years after which a residential address is required;
- donate at least €2,000 to a philanthropic, cultural, scientific, artistic, sport or animal welfare NGO registered at Commissioner of Voluntary Organisations;
- be in possession of a valid travel document;
- take out a sickness insurance policy of cover all risks across Malta;
- take out a travel insurance when travelling across Schengen.
MRVP Privileged Taxation & Protection of global wealth
- Once Permanent residence status is acquired, this triggers the tax classification of resident non-domiciled, and as such shall be taxed only on local source income at 35%, whilst foreign income shall be subject to a Malta tax of 15% only when remitted to Malta.
- There is no taxation on foreign source capital gains and no tax on worldwide income wealth that remains outside Malta.
- Capital brought into Malta for the purposes
- There is a Minimum tax liability of €5,000.
- There is no additional tax for spouse, children or dependents.
- There are no inheritance / wealth taxes.
- Such MRVP status is not lost, if the resident lives outside of Malta for any given year.